Crumb coffee cake as we know it today is a different take on cakes of the past. It has evolved so to speak from generations as far back as Biblical day honey cakes. Through the years there have been different ingredients used, or those ingredients have changed in consistency and availability. One ingredient that has seen no change at all other than the fowl it comes from is the incredible edible egg.
This crumb coffee cake begins with refined flour. Now if you have a preference in types of flour you use such as whole wheat or unbleached, go right ahead and give it at try. No harm, no foul, just remember that whole wheat flour does render a heavier texture.
Granulated sugar in this recipe can always be substituted with some of the more natural sugars as well, but here again you will sacrifice some of the intended flavor when using sugar in the raw.
This is a moist and tender coffee cake that you can make up for your family and friends breakfast eating pleasure. As with other sweet breakfast offerings, donâ€™t be surprised to find them begging for this delicious fare at other times during the day as well.
Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
1. Set oven to 325 degree and spray an 8″ x 8″ square baking pan with cookig spray. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and butter. Save 1 cup of the crumbs for topping.
2. To the remaining mixture, add the vanilla, eggs, and milk and mix well.
3. Pour batter into baking pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top of the batter
4. Bake for 50-65 minutes at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Cut into 9 equal servings.
Article under Coffee Cake Recipes by Richard Mongiovi