Cinnamon coffee cake recipe conjures up images of sitting around the table chattering away with family or friends. Some purists believe that all coffee cakes must contain coffee like they did when they originated, while others consider any cake that is served with coffee to be coffee cakes. Whatever your opinion, you are sure to love this version.
The humble coffee cake can trace its roots back across time as well as national origin. Since the days of honey cakes in Biblical times, cakes have been a favorite of people everywhere. Today’s cinnamon coffee cake recipe can be seen as part of the evolutionary process from honey cakes to the much maligned fruit cake to the now flavorful and oh so yummy coffee cake.
Each process of evolving from one cake to the next was due in part to what was on hand at the time and has created many wonderful culinary surprises. As with any other homemade delight, you are sure to have some moments of your own where you just want to whip up something just a bit out of the ordinary. This coffee cake recipe will allow you to express yourself until you are ready to take the leap and create one of your own.
Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 – 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 – 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Set oven to 375°F. Brush a medium size square or circular pan with butter. Dust the pan with flour and tap out any excess.
2. Combine dry ingredients for cake. Beat together egg, oil and milk, then add to dry ingredients.
3. Fill pan with cake batter and level off top with a spatula.
4. Mix all cinnamon crunb ingredients together.
5. Spread cinnamon Crumb Topping over top of cake and bake.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375°F .
Article under Coffee Cake Recipes by Richard Mongiovi