Blueberry coffee Cake recipe has to be one of my favorites. It is chock full of goodness while at the same time being absolutely delicious. It starts with the wholesomeness of a wonderfully delightful berry and these are combined with flour, butter, sugar and eggs, among other ingredients to bring out the beauty of these flavorful little berries.
Blueberries are full of vitamin C and the power of antioxidants which are known to be beneficial for combating disease. Anthocyanins are responsible for the wonderful color in these great tasting berries. Fresh berries should not be any cause for concern about the color transferring into the batter, but that is not so when using the frozen or canned variety. You will want to wash canned and frozen berries before stirring them into the batter to get rid of the juice that can cause your berries to leach color causing an undesirable color in the finished product.
Blueberry coffee cake recipe is just another way of adding fiber and nutrition to your family’s diet, and the flavorful berries can be added to just about any type of cake or muffin. Nothing is lost when the berries are frozen, so that makes them readily available for use any time during the year. Who would have known that something so small and delicious could be so good for you?
Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1-21 oz or 22 oz can of blueberry pie filling
- Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a 9″ x 9″ square glass or ceramic baking dish or metal pan.
3. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. A fork works well for this.
4. To the flour mixture, add 1/2 cup melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla.
5. With a spoon, beat until well mixed and then pour the batter evenly into your greased and floured pan.
6. In a separate small bowl, using a fork, combine the ingredients for the streusel topping; flour, sugar and melted butter. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Sprinkle 1/2 of crumb mixture evenly over the top of batter in the pan.
8. Stir lemon extract into the can of blueberry pie filling with a spoon or narrow spatula. Spread the pie filling over the top of the crumb mixture in the pan.
9 Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture.
10. Bake for 1 hour or until top of coffee cake is golden brown.
Article under Coffee Cake Recipes by Richard Mongiovi